Title: Knowledge Manager
Location: Montréal, Canada
Status: Permanent and full time, 35 hours/per week
Application deadline: June 13, 2022
Salary scale: $64.400 – $76.149
Be a part of positive social change
Equitas is a Canadian non-profit organization whose core mission is to advance equality, social justice and respect for human dignity. Imagine your work aligning with your personal values and being a part of creating positive social change every day through transformative human rights education programs. Alongside near 60 liked-minded colleagues based in Canada and partners all around the world, you could contribute to the empowerment of people to address inequalities and discrimination, and work to build more inclusive and rights‐respecting communities with Equitas.
Description of the opportunity
Reporting to the Director of Education, the Knowledge Manager is responsible for leading the development and implementation of Equitas’ knowledge strategy aligned with Equitas’ strategic plan. The main function of the Knowledge Manager is to help champion organization-wide knowledge building, management and sharing, so that the organization’s know-how, information and experience is shared inside and (as appropriate) outside the organization with human rights educators, partners, and other stakeholders.
S/he provides leadership to Equitas program teams and internal communities of practice to realize Equitas’ knowledge building and sharing results. S/he leads coordination, monitoring coaching linked to Equitas’ know-how and emerging trends in human rights education. S/he contributes is also responsible for developing knowledge management tools and processes that help Equitas meet knowledge objectives and reinforce the organization’s strategic vision in this area.
Tasks and main Responsibilities
- Lead the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the organizational knowledge strategy, in collaboration with Director of Education.
- Lead the development of the annual organizational knowledge and communication result in collaboration with Director of Communication
- Collaborate with the Senior Education Specialist responsible for online learning and the Communications and Community Officer to implement and ensure the coherence of Equitas’ online strategy and the Equitas’ online communities of practice.
- Provide strategic guidance and support for the establishment, nurturing and promotion of communities of practice (both internally and on the Equitas online ecosystem)
- Support the project teams to develop, implement and evaluate knowledge related results in their annual plans Provide content expertise in the development of specific knowledge-related activities as required (e.g. IHRTP, good practices, activities at national level when necessary, etc.)
- Identify opportunities for partnerships with academic institutions and other knowledge partners to reinforce research-based practice into Equitas’ approach to HRE
- Build a network of strategic relationships in Canada and overseas, in support of the knowledge strategy including, Canadian and other government officials, international institutions and coalitions, resource people, funders, as well as key allies and stakeholders
- Lead the design and effective implementation of common knowledge management processes, standards and tools for use across the organization
- Stay current about knowledge transfer and exchange methods and practices as well as of emerging human rights issues and trends in human rights education (HRE) to inform the knowledge strategy and content
- Provide coaching, training and support to Equitas staff to enhance Equitas’ knowledge management
- Share experiences across communities of practice, and program and project teams, on innovative approaches in knowledge sharing, including preparation of case studies
- Lead the documentation and implementation of good practices in HRE at Equitas
- Working in close collaboration with the Programs Manager, promote knowledge sharing through the organization’s operational business processes and systems by, among others, strengthening links between knowledge building and sharing and information systems (e.g. Microsoft SharePoint, Teams, Moodle platform)
- Oversee the development and implementation of communications strategies connected to sharing knowledge internally and externally, in close collaboration with the Director of Education and the Director of Communications and Fund Development
- Supporting the organization of knowledge sharing events such as EquiTalks, knowledge fairs, site visits, interviews and maintaining communications on knowledge sharing across the organization
- Oversee the strategic direction and maintenance of the Equitas database, in collaboration with the Communications and Fund Development team.
- Facilitate Equitas representation / participation in networks, workshops, conferences, with the media, as required
- Coordinate the development of an annual training plan for Equitas staff in collaboration with the Director of Education, the Sr People and Culture manager and the Management Team.
- Lead development and delivery of the annual staff retreat, in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Identify professional development opportunities for staff in line with broader organizational needs and priorities.
- Develop budget related to knowledge deliverables, in collaboration with the Program teams.
Support Organizational Activities and Processes
- Actively participate in the Program Steering Committee – support the PSC in monitoring the scope, quality, schedule and cost of the portfolio of programs, including working with directors and program/project leads to review and assure delivery of all knowledge related strategy and program/project deliverables.
- Contribute to development of project proposals, in particular on the knowledge building and sharing pieces.
- Provide support to and participate in meetings of the Board Program Committee as required.
- Participate as member of the IT committee.
Perform other duties as determined in consultation with the Director of Education.
You’re passionate about human rights and social justice. You’re motivated by and have strong commitment to Equitas’ mission, vision, and values. You’re motivated by challenges committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and reflective of the diversity in the Equitas community.
Essential qualifications for role
- Great drive and commitment to Equitas’ mission, vision and values; ability to inspire others to do so as well;
- Education: preferably Master’s degree in Social Science, Education or Instructional Design, Management or other related disciplines;
- At least 7 years’ work experience with proven track record and exposure to knowledge building and sharing, and/or capacity development;
- Proven experience in learning and knowledge sharing: open to new ideas; shares own knowledge; applies knowledge in daily work; builds partnerships for learning and knowledge sharing;
- Proven experience in instructional education design, including online training;
- Knowledge and understanding of human rights, human rights education, and/or social justice issues in Canada and/or overseas;
- Good knowledge and skills in performance assessment and evaluation;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French) and excellent report writing skills in at least one of them;
What we offer
- We offer the chance to be a part of and make up a diverse and engaged team who are all meaningfully contributing to positive social change in Canada and around the world in their own way.
- We value self-care, inclusion and empathy towards all team members and place a strong emphasis on work-life balance. In addition to vacation time, we offer 2 weeks off over the winter holidays.
- We’re all about learning and offer all employees the opportunity to participate in Learning Committees based on their interests and participate in a workplace culture that is constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate.
- We have a centrally located office with a beautiful view of Mont-Royal
- We believe in trust and openness and offer a ﬂexible work environment.
- We believe in creating space for everyone to lead and offer opportunities within our governance structure to allow for individuals in all roles to take on opportunities for leadership.
- We offer a comprehensive beneﬁts package which includes a competitive salary for the NGO sector, 3 weeks paid vacation (4 weeks after 3 years), paid personal days, medical, dental and life insurance, a group RRSP and much more!
Given the nature of our work, Equitas strongly encourages applications from any candidates who have experienced marginalization, in particular, Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, LGBTQ2I people, and people living with disabilities. Candidates who wish to do so may self-identify in their application.
At Equitas, we do not tolerate harassment, discrimination, violence, or abuse of any form. All employment offers are conditional of the signing of Equitas’ Human Resources Policy, our Policy on Preventing Sexual Violence, Harassment and Discrimination and satisfactory references.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to apply?
Applications analyzed upon receipt. Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Knowledge Manager in the subject line by June 13, 2022 to: