Title: Program Officer
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Status: Full time – 35hours/ per week
Application deadline: Sunday, November 26, 2017
Start date: January 8th, interviews will be held December 11th-13th
Salary range: $40,000 – 47,000 (based on experience) + benefits
Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education (www.equitas.org) is seeking a full-time Program Officer to plan, coordinate, deliver, and evaluate its human rights education activities in BC. In particular with respect to its growing Play it Fair!, Speaking Rights, and Young Women Young Leaders programs across BC. Central to this role will also be supporting new and existing partners as they integrate human rights education approaches focusing on child and youth rights, leadership, participation and community engagement within their organizations own programs and practices.
Reporting to the Regional Program Manager in BC, the Program Officer will be responsible for:
- Supporting the implementation of program activities in BC, including planning, delivery, monitoring and evaluation.
- Coordinating and facilitating HRE training for community partners and their staff; assisting with the development of training and workshop content; conducting follow-up activities and coaching with trained staff and organizations
- Coordinating and supporting community events with partners to increase children and youth rights and participation (e.g. National Child Day, events linked to Youth Community Action Projects)
- Building relationships with partners, funders, and other allies and stakeholders (in particular with respect to Equitas outreach to Indigenous organizations, immigrant and refugee-serving organizations and community and youth-serving agencies)
- Supporting fund development for BC programs, contributing actively to funding proposals and reports
- Participating in local networks; promoting Equitas programs, outcomes, and lessons learned
- Supporting the communication strategy for the BC office
- Providing logistical support to Equitas activities in BC including management of printing and distribution of education and promotional resources
- Maintaining program-related electronic and paper files and updating program calendars and databases
- Performing other duties as determined in consultation with the Regional Program Officer, BC
Skills and experience
- 2-5 years’ relevant experience in project management and project/program development in the non-profit or social sector, including monitoring and evaluating projects
- Proven knowledge, understanding and programming experience related to children’s rights, human rights education, and/or social justice issues in Canada
- Facilitation/training skills and experience working with community organizations and/or schools delivering programs for children and youth; experience designing training and workshops is an asset
- Experience in grant writing and development of funding relationships
- Ability to work as part of a small team in a cross-cultural environment with a diversity of partners
- Proven analytical skills and the ability to think and act independently while managing multiple projects at the same time
- Strong skills in information management (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook; experience in InDesign is an asset); strong skills in social media and communications
- Enthusiasm, tact and adaptability.
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English. French is an asset.
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
Equitas supports employment practices that promote diversity and respect human rights and offers a competitive salary and benefits for a program position in the NGO sector.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and PO in the subject line by Sunday, November 26, 2017 at email@example.com. Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.