Title: Programs Management Officer
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Full time, one-year contract, with possibility of renewal 35 hours/per week
Application deadline: January 30, 2019 before 11 a.m.
Start date: February 18, 2019
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada.
Are you motivated by challenges? Are you passionate about human rights and interested in supporting Equitas with our internal project management processes? Do you have proven experience in coordinating organizational annual planning? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. After recently celebrating 50of success in 2017, Equitas continues to deliver innovative human rights education programs to advance equality, inclusion, respect for human dignity, and social change in Canada and around the world.
Equitas is seeking a highly motivated Programs Management Officer who cares passionately about human rights, equality and inclusion and is experienced in contributing to effective overall management of an organization. The Programs Management Officer will support the realization of program-level and organizational-level outcomes. Reporting to the Director of Programs, the successful candidate is a team player and will work closely with the Office Manager and the Controller.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Development and Implementation of Equitas Teams Annual Plans
- Coordinates the annual planning process in close consultation with the Director of Programs and other members of the Management Team.
- Provides guidance and support to Equitas teams to develop their annual plans in line with Equitas’ Strategic Plan, Annual Planning Priorities and commitments to funding agencies
- Coordinates monitoring of implementation of team plans, to monitor progress and identify variances and risks associated with implementation of plans and budgets
- Provides guidance with respect to problem solving, managing risks and variances in program delivery that affect time, scope and budget, and develops contingency plans
- Develops processes and tools required to ensure effective functioning of teams
Coordination of programs
- Works in collaboration with the Controller to develop and coordinate implementation of financial management tools and processes to ensure sound financial management of projects, in line with financial contractual obligations
- Provides guidance to teams and key partners in implementation of financial management tools and processes
- Establishes program management standards, tools and procedures
- Leads documentation and implementation of good practices connected to program management
- Develops and maintains a database of program management tools and templates
- Supervises the work of the Program Finance and Administrative Assistant
- Provides coaching related to project management – including financial management – to Equitas personnel and key project partners and identifies related professional development opportunities for members of teams as necessary
- Provides support to teams with respect to fund development and proposal development, in particular related to budgeting.
- Promotes interaction between different units through processes and other working tools
Other tasks as may be assigned by the Director of Programs, time permitting.
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years formal education/training in program management (or equivalent experience)
- proven skills in project management within the NGO or social sector
- proven analytical skills and ability to think and act strategically
- proven leadership skills and experience in motivating and managing teams and supervising/coaching staff
- excellent management skills, including financial management skills
- excellent inter-personal skills: tact, diplomacy and discretion
- experience in working in a cross-cultural setting
- experience in creating work program management tools for teams, and conduction staff training is an asset
- ability to communicate orally, and read and understand documents, in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); and excellent writing skills in at least one of them
- proficiency in the use of computers, including word processing, database, budgeting tools and project management tools.
- knowledge of Smartsheet is an asset.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Programs Management Officer in the subject line by January 30, 2019 at 11 a.m. to: Catalina Lomanto firstname.lastname@example.org