***Application deadline is extended to December 1st***
Title: ACTIF Fund Officer
Location: Montréal, Canada and remote work
Status: Full time- 35 hours/week (hybrid work)
Salary range: $47.000 – $60.000
Application deadline: December 1st, 2021 (Applications analyzed upon receipt)
Start date: As soon as possible
Be a part of positive social change
Imagine working for an organization whose primary mission is to advance equality, social justice and respect for human dignity. Imagine that your work aligns with your personal values and that you participate every day in creating positive social change through transformative human rights education programs. Alongside 55 like-minded colleagues in Canada and partners around the world, you could help empower people to address inequality and discrimination, and work to build more inclusive and rights-respecting communities with Equitas.
Equitas is seeking a highly motivated ACTIF Fund Officer with a passion for human rights, equality and inclusion and experience in project management. Under the responsibility of the Fund Director Act Together for Inclusion Fund (ACTIF), the ACTIF fund Officer will coordinate the development of grant-making tools and processes and will coordinate the initial review and assessment of proposals to the Fund.
The ACTIF Fund Officer is a member of the ACTIF team at Equitas and works closely with the Dignity Network Canada, as well as with the Education and Communication teams at Equitas.
The Act Together for Inclusion Fund (ACTIF) is being established to enhance the respect, protection and fulfillment of the human rights of, and socio-economic outcomes for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, trans, queer, two spirited and intersex (LGBTQ2I) persons in countries eligible for overseas development assistance (ODA). The implementation of ACTIF will be guided by principles of intersectionality, inclusion, indivisibility of human rights and ‘do no harm.’ ACTIF will support projects designed by Canadian intermediaries – civil society organizations (CSOs) with a track record of working on LGBTQ2I issues and established connections to local LGBTQ2I CSOs and movements in ODA eligible countries. ACTIF will be managed by Equitas in collaboration with Dignity Network Canada. ACTIF will enable Canadian organizations working to further the human rights of LGBTQ2I persons, with new opportunities to implement programming in developing countries.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the development of the call for proposal and due diligence tools, and call for proposal processes and communications;
- Manage and set up the Grant Making Platform;
- Responsible to coordinate the initial review of project proposals by the ACTIF team, to assess whether basic eligibility criteria have been met;
- Organize and co-host webinars to answer questions relating to the application process;
- Manage Emergent Opportunities Fund Projects, and review of their narrative reports and their financial reports in collaboration with the senior financial officer and senior program officer;
- Ensure tracking and analysis of risks and key issues in countries where the Emergent Opportunities Fund is operating;
- Coordinate the logistics, planning, organization, and delivery of the Round tables, capacity-strengthening activities implemented as part of the ACTIF project, in collaboration with the ACTIF team at Equitas and the Dignity Network Canada;
- Contribute to initiatives intending to support funded projects and partner organisations in meeting requirements of Global Affairs Canada, as it relates to security, preventing sexual violence, exploitation, harassment and discrimination, results based management, gender based analysis and human rights based approaches;
- Actively participate in and support Learning Committees and Program Unit processes (reflection/learning processes, planning and monitoring meetings, team-building activities, etc.) and organizational processes (planning and budgeting processes, staff meetings, etc.).
You’re passionate about human rights and social justice. You’re motivated by and have strong commitment to Equitas’ mission, vision, and values and to the stated objectives and principles of the Fund. You’re motivated to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and reflective of the diversity, in particular LGBTQ2I people. You have Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacities to work in partnership with diverse set of stakeholders in Canada and internationally.
What is essential for role
- Eligibility to work in Canada;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both of Canada’s official languages (oral and written proficiency required);
- Minimum 5 years’ proven experience in program/project management in the NGO or social sector;
- Understanding of the human rights-based approach, gender equality and result-based management principles;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacities to work in partnership with diverse set of stakeholders in Canada and internationally;
- Availability to travel in Canada and/or internationally several times a year.
What is an asset to the role
- Experience working in a grant-making or funding organization a strong asset;
- Experience working and managing international programs a strong asset;
- Skills in other languages is an asset, other than English and French;
- Proficiency in the use of computers, including word processing, database, knowledge of Salesforce considered an asset.
What we offer
- We offer the chance to be a part of and make up a diverse and engaged team who are all meaningfully contributing to positive social change in Canada and around the world in their own way.
- We value self-care, inclusion and empathy towards all team members and place a strong emphasis on work-life balance. In addition to vacation time, we offer 2 weeks off over the winter holidays.
- We’re all about learning and offer all employees the opportunity to participate in Learning Committees based on their interests and participate in a workplace culture that is constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate.
- We have a centrally located office with a beautiful view of Mont-Royal (although we’re currently operating remotely).
- We believe in trust and openness and offer a ﬂexible work environment.
- We believe in creating space for everyone to lead and offer opportunities within our governance structure to allow for individuals in all roles to take on opportunities for leadership.
- We offer a comprehensive beneﬁts package which includes a competitive salary for the NGO sector, 3 weeks paid vacation (4 weeks after 3 years), paid personal days, medical, dental and life insurance, a group RRSP and much more!
Given the nature of our work, Equitas strongly encourages applications from any candidates who have experienced marginalization, in particular, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, LGBTQ2I people, and people living with disabilities. Candidates who wish to do so may self-identify in their application.
At Equitas, we do not tolerate harassment, discrimination, violence, or abuse of any form. All employment offers are conditional of the signing of Equitas’ Human Resources Policy, our Policy on Preventing Sexual Violence, Harassment and Discrimination and satisfactory references.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to apply?
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and ACTIF Fund Officer in the subject line by December 1st, 2021 to: