Title: Education Specialist II
Status: Full time, 12 months contract, 35 hours/per week, with possibility of renewal
Start date: August 2018
Salary Range: $48,000 – $52,000 (commensurate with experience) + benefits
Application deadline: Friday, July 20 2018
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education (www.equitas.org) is seeking a full-time Education Specialist to develop, deliver and evaluate Equitas’ human rights education activities in Quebec and across Canada. In particular, the Education Specialist will work on the instructional design, developing and facilitating capacity-building training, evaluating results, and helping to promote the use of human rights education focusing on child and youth rights, leadership, participation and community engagement with Equitas’ partners in Canada. Depending on operational requirements, the successful candidate may also be required to work on Equitas’ International Programs.
Reporting to the Director of Education, the Education Specialist is responsible for:
1. Design and Development of Education Materials
- Undertakes instructional design for both text-based and online training resources
- Develops content and produces training materials for publication
- Reviews and revises education materials in consultation with program staff and partner organizations
2. Program Delivery
- Delivers and facilitates training sessions in Quebec and across Canada. This includes working with partners to develop training content, facilitating sessions, and evaluating results
- Provides coaching and follow up with partners (community-based organizations, schools, municipalities) related to educational design, training, evaluation
- Supports children and youth-led community action projects
- Contributes to the development of new programs, program strategy, and annual planning and reporting
- Contributes to new funding proposals
- Participates in meetings with key stakeholders, partners, decision makers
3 . Evaluation
- Prepares and carries out needs assessments
- Designs evaluation processes and tools, analyzes data and prepares reports
4. Communications and Knowledge Sharing
- Contributes to the promotion of Equitas’ education programs and activities on social media, on the Equitas community, on the Equitas website, etc.
- Contributes to the implementation of Equitas’ knowledge strategy, internally and externally
- Shares good practices at conferences, community events, and within communities of practice to increase understanding of human rights education, Equitas programs, and the importance of children and youth participation in communities
5. Other tasks:
- Contributes, as assigned, to continued growth and strengthening of Equitas and its programs.
Skills and experience:
- 3-5 years formal education/training in instructional design/curriculum development for participatory education programs (or equivalent experience)
- Proven skills in development, implementation, and evaluation of participatory education activities in the formal and non-formal sector in French
- Demonstrated facilitation skills in French
- Experience working on programs for children and youth, in particular in the areas of leadership and youth engagement with community-based organizations, schools, and municipalities. Experience in Quebec is an asset.
- Proven knowledge and experience related to children’s rights, gender equality, human rights education and social justice issues in Quebec and Canada
- Proven conceptual and analytical skills and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural setting with diverse program partners
- Commitment to teamwork, enthusiasm, and adaptability
- Experience in design of online training courses (an asset)
- Excellent command of Microsoft Word for text design, InDesign, Access for data analysis and Excel and PowerPoint (knowledge of Photoshop, and other programs an asset)
Bilingualism (English & French). Excellent oral and written skills French are required.
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Availability to travel and participate in programs in Quebec and across Canada 2 to 3 times a year
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas supports employment practices that promote diversity and respect human rights and offers a competitive salary and benefits for a program position in the NGO sector.
How to Apply:
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and c.v.) with the title Education Specialist – Canada in the subject line by July 20, 2018, to:
Ms. Catalina Lomanto