Title: Education Specialist – Level 2, Middle East and North Africa
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: 9 months contract, Full-time position (35h/week) with possibility of renewal
Application deadline: January 7, 2021
Start date: February 2021
Do you care about the rights of women, youth and people living with a disability? Are you passionate about human rights and want to support Equitas’ work in the Middle East and North Africa? Do you have experience in educational program development, instructional tool design and evaluation? If so, Equitas has a unique opportunity for you.
Equitas is Canada’s most recognized and active human rights education organization. We work for the advancement of equality, social justice and respect for human dignity through transformative education programs. We empower people to address inequalities and discrimination, and to work to build more inclusive and rights-respecting communities.
Equitas is looking for a highly motivated Education Specialist – Level 2, Middle East and North Africa, with a passion for human rights, equality and inclusion and experience in design, development of educational materials and facilitation of training sessions. The Education Specialist, MENA will be responsible for developing, delivering and evaluating the educational activities of Equitas’ programs in the region. Reporting to the Director of Education, she-he is a team player and will work closely with the Program Officers assigned to the region, as well as other Education Specialists.
Tasks and main responsibilities
- Design and development of educational materials
- Carry out the pedagogical design of training resources (i.e., content development, production of training manuals, development of online training)
- Review and revise education materials in close collaboration with the MENA program team, other education specialists, and partner organizations.
- Support the development of content for the online education platform of this project.
- Program Delivery
- Participate in the implementation of online and field training sessions in the MENA region. This includes consulting with Program Officers assigned to the region and partners in the development of training content, orienting the local facilitation team, facilitating the training or supporting their facilitation from a distance if travel is not possible, leading and/or participating in debriefing meetings during the training and ensuring effective evaluation of results.
- Accompany partners through mentoring and follow-up on all aspects related to the implementation and evaluation of an education program.
- Participate in other activities related to program delivery as required.
- Develop data collection tools for baseline studies and/or validation of needs, in close collaboration with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Advisor.
- Design evaluation processes and tools, analyze data and write reports
- Contributes to the preparation of narrative reports to funders
- Communication and knowledge sharing
- Contribute to the implementation of Equitas’ knowledge sharing strategy internally, as well as externally, in collaboration with the Knowledge Manager.
- Facilitate information/education sessions for Equitas staff
- Share good practices in education, particularly in online spaces such as the Rawabet platform and social media, in order to increase understanding of human rights education and Equitas’ programs.
- Program development
- Contributes to the development of new programs annual planning
- Contribute to the development of funding proposals
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders, partners, and decision-makers
- Other tasks
- Contribute, as assigned, to the continued growth and strengthening of Equitas and its programs
Experience and skills:
- Minimum 3 years of formal experience in instructional design and/or curriculum development for participatory training programs or training delivery;
- Formal education/training in instructional design/curriculum development or equivalent experience;
- Demonstrated facilitation skills;
- Proven conceptual and analytical skills;
- Proven problem-solving skills;
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural environment with diverse programming partners;
- Excellent team spirit;
- Experience in designing e-learning courses is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word , Survey Monkey, Excel and PowerPoint (knowledge of SharePoint, Salesforce, InDesign, Photoshop, and other software would be an asset);
- Knowledge of international human rights issues and social injustices is an asset;
- Knowledge and experience working with gender equality approaches is an asset.
- Excellent communication, speaking and writing skills in English;
- Comprehension and command of spoken and written Arabic;
- Ability to communicate in French.
- Candidates must be able to travel and participate in programs in the MENA region 1-2 times a year;
- Remote working is possible for this position.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous Peoples, visible minorities, people living with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Education Specialist 2, MENA in the subject line by January 7th, 2021, to: