Title : Senior Education Specialist
Location :Vancouver, British Colombia/ remote work
Status : Full time, 35 hours/per week (Hybrid work)
Application deadline : July 29, 2022
Salary range : 64 000 $ to 70 000 $
Start date : August 2022
Be a part of positive social change
Imagine working for an organization that’s core mission is to advance equality, social justice and respect for human dignity. Imagine your work aligning with your personal values and being a part of creating positive social change every day through transformative human rights education programs. Alongside 55 liked-minded colleagues based in Canada and partners all around the world, you could contribute to the empowerment of people to address inequalities and discrimination, and work to build more inclusive and rights‐respecting communities with Equitas.
Equitas is seeking a highly motivated Senior Education Specialist with a passion for human rights, equality and inclusion and experience in the design, development and facilitation of educational materials both text-based and online. The Senior Education Specialist will be responsible for developing, delivering and evaluating human rights education activities with diverse communities for different programs. Reporting to the Director of Education, the successful candidate is a team player and will work in close collaboration with the members of the team, which include Program Officers as well as other Education Specialists. The selected person may be called upon to support other projects in other countries.
The Senior Education Specialist will carry out these tasks with minimum supervision. He/she may be called to supervise and coach Education Specialists and interns as required. In addition, the Senior Education Specialist will lead and oversee particular activities related to the work of the education unit, as determined by the Director of Education, based on organizational needs.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Educational Program Design, Development, and Delivery
- Based on program objectives, the education specialist is responsible for providing strategic leadership in the development of all resources and evaluation tools designed for the program, includes providing leadership, guidance and oversight of all tools developed by other team members.
- Collaborates with the Program Officer and other stakeholders to ensure the relevance and optimal impact of the projects carried out according to the partner’s
- Leads the development and validation of human rights education resources and materials (e.g., learning needs assessment, application forms, pre-training assignments, training manuals, evaluation instruments, etc.) in consultation with Program Officer (and, where appropriate, directly with partner).
- Produces training materials in appropriate formats according to agreed to text design templates
- As principal facilitator (including orientation of facilitation teams) for educational activities, plans and coordinates as needed with other team members and partners the delivery of educational content.
- Develops and designs the evaluation strategy for assigned project(s) in consultation with the Program Officer
- Designs the program evaluation tool, interprets the data collected and prepares the evaluation report of a training activity in collaboration with the Program Officer and the Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Collaborates with the Program Officer for the preparation of program evaluation reports
2. Program/Project Development
- Possesses substantive knowledge on the focus of the project that is anti-racism and use it to contribute to the development of overall program/project strategies
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with partners
- Contributes to the project formulation (especially with regard to the education component of the project) and provides input into project concept papers, proposals and budgets (e.g. via project teams).
- Co-develop with the senior Program Officer the program strategies and planning of education activities
- Team leadership
- May supervise, coach and mentor a team of Education Specialists and interns
- May perform all activities related to hiring, performance management, and professional development for their team
4. Knowledge building and dissemination
- Keeps his / her knowledge up to date on everything related to human rights and builds, over time, a good knowledge (social, economic, religious, political, etc.) of the region to which he or she is
- Is up to date with developments in educational science and
- Is responsible for building and disseminating knowledge to the partner but also to teams at Equitas and other stakeholders
- Leverages the knowledge of content experts as
- Develops, as needed, training manual templates, handbooks, articles, impact stories,
- Contributes to the maintenance of Equitas’ database and library
5. Management and Planning
- Develops annual individual work plan based on organizational plan and monitors progress
- Keeps tract of time allocated for various projects and alerts the Senior Education Specialist or Director of Education and the concerned Program Officer of any concerns that arise.
- May oversee and monitor work plans for Education Specialists under their responsibility
6. Organizational Support
- Actively participates in, contributes to and supports organizational and Education Team processes (planning and budgeting processes, reflection/learning processes, team building activities, staff/project team/Education Unit meetings, etc)
- Contributes to/provides various training activities for Equitas staff
- Represents Equitas as appropriate and/or when
- Participates in the planning, development and delivery of the annual IHRTP as
- Performs other duties as determined in consultation with the Director of Education.
What about you?
You are passionate about human rights and social justice. You are motivated by and have strong commitment to Equitas’ mission, vision, and values. You are motivated by challenges committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and reflective of the diversity in the Equitas community. You have excellent conceptual and analytical skills, and the ability to plan and organize work. You have a keen interest for developing online trainings and for problem solving. You are a leader who has excellent interpersonal skills, and who has the ability to work as part of a small team in a cross-cultural environment with a diversity of partners.
What is essential for role ?
- Eligibility to work in Canada and be based in British Columbia.
- Substantive knowledge of anti-racism and experience working on anti-racism, gender equality and/or other social justice
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience working in learner-centered instructional design and training
- Graduate studies in Formal education/instructional design/curriculum development training (or equivalent experience).
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a cross-cultural
- Proven skills in development, implementation, and evaluation of education activities, preferably for human rights education
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word for text design, InDesign, Photoshop, Survey Monkey for data collection and analysis, Excel and PowerPoint,
- Knowledge of SharePoint, Salesforce and other software an asset
What is an asset to the role ?
- Experience working on anti-racism issues and/or other social justice issues
- Engagement in the fields of human rights, human rights education, and/or social justice
- Experience developing and facilitating activities for children and
What we offer
- We offer the chance to be a part of and make up a diverse and engaged team who are all meaningfully contributing to positive social change in Canada and around the world in their own way.
- We value self-care, inclusion and empathy towards all team members and place a strong emphasis on work-life balance.
- We are all about learning and offer all employees the opportunity to participate in Learning Committees based on their interests and participate in a workplace culture that is constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate.
- We believe in trust and openness and offer a ﬂexible work environment.
- We offer a comprehensive beneﬁts package, which includes a competitive salary for the NGO sector, 3 weeks paid vacation, paid personal days, medical, dental and life insurance, a group RRSP. In addition to vacation time, we offer 2 weeks off over the winter holidays.
Given the nature of our work, Equitas strongly encourages applications from any candidates who have experienced marginalization, in particular, Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, LGBTQ2I people, and people living with disabilities. Candidates who wish to do so may self-identify in their application.
At Equitas, we do not tolerate harassment, discrimination, violence, or abuse of any form. All employment offers are conditional of the signing of Equitas’ Human Resources Policy, our Policy on Preventing Sexual Violence, Harassment and Discrimination and satisfactory references.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
For further information about Equitas consult Who we are section on our website at www.equitas.org.
How to apply?
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name in the subject line by July 29, 2022 to: email@example.com