Title : Education Specialist, Canada
Location : Montréal and Vancouver Canada as well as remote work across Canada
Status :1 year contract, Full-Time , 35 hours/per week (Hybrid work)
Salary range: 50 556$ – 55 811$
Application deadline: May 1st 2023
Start date: June 2023
Be a part of positive social change
Imagine working for an organization whose primary mission is to advance equality, social justice and respect for human dignity. Imagine that your work aligns with your personal values and that you participate every day in creating positive social change through transformative human rights education programs. Alongside 60 like-minded colleagues in Canada and partners around the world, you could help empower people to address inequality and discrimination, and work to build more inclusive and rights-respecting communities with Equitas.
Equitas is seeking a highly motivated Education Specialist for its Canadian Program with a passion for human rights, equality and inclusion and experience in the design, development and facilitation of educational materials. As the Education Specialist, you will be responsible for developing, delivering and evaluating human rights education activities for a program that aims to strengthen the capacity of children and youth to build more inclusive communities that are respectful of human rights. Reporting to the Senior Education Specialist, you are a team player and will work in close collaboration with Program Officers working on the Program, the Director of Education and other Education Specialists at Equitas.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Lend expertise and lead program design around human rights .
- Conduct instructional design, development and production of training materials, primarily for text-based training resources but also for digital resources based on the text model. This includes materials for educational needs assessments, application forms, pre-assignment training programs, training guides, assessment instruments, all of which may be for multiple types of groups.
- Review and revise educational materials in consultation with program staff and partner organizations.
- Conduct and facilitate training sessions on specific projects. This includes working with Equitas partners in different regions to develop training content, facilitate trainings, orient the local facilitation team, lead and/or participate in debriefings during trainings, and ensure effective evaluation of results.
- Mentor and monitor partners on all aspects of educational design, implementation and evaluation of local mobilization efforts particularly with youth.
- Participate in other activities related to program delivery, including performing administrative tasks as needed.
- Prepare and conduct baseline studies and needs assessments.
- Design evaluation and monitoring processes and tools, analyze data and write reports.
- Contribute to the implementation of Equitas’ knowledge sharing strategy both internally and externally in collaboration with the Knowledge Manager.
- Facilitate information/education sessions for Equitas staff.
- Share good practices in education, particularly on Equitas’ online spaces and social media, in order to increase understanding of human rights education and Equitas’ programs.
- Contribute to the development of new programs and annual planning.
- Contribute to the development of funding proposals.
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders, partners, and policy makers.
- Contribute, as assigned, to the continued growth and strengthening of Equitas and its programs.
You are passionate about human rights and social justice. You are motivated by and strongly committed to Equitas’ mission, vision and values. You are motivated to foster an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of the Equitas community. You have proven conceptual and analytical skills, and demonstrated skills in designing, implementing and evaluating training programs. You have demonstrated facilitation skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
What is essential for the role
- Eligibility to work in Canada.
- Ability to communicate orally, read, understand, and develop documents in French and in English.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in learner-centered instructional design and training delivery.
- Experience in formal education, instructional design and curriculum development training (or equivalent experience).
- Strong planning and organizational skills, including the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Forms for data collection and analysis, Excel and PowerPoint.
What is an asset to the role
- Experience in designing online training courses
- Commitment to human rights, human rights education and/or social justice issues with youth and children’s community groups
- Knowledge of SharePoint, Salesforce, design software (InDesign, Canva) and other software is an asset
What we offer
- We offer the chance to be a part of and make up a diverse and engaged team of people that are all meaningfully contributing to positive social change in Canada and around the world in their own way.
- We value self-care, inclusion, and empathy towards all team members and place a strong emphasis on work-life balance. In addition to vacation time, we offer 2 weeks off over the winter holidays.
- We’re all about learning and offer all employees the opportunity to participate in Learning Committees based on their interests and participate in a workplace culture that is constantly looking for ways to improve and innovate.
- We believe in trust and openness and offer a flexible work environment.
- We believe in creating space for everyone to lead and offer opportunities within our governance structure to allow for individuals in all roles to take on opportunities for leadership.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a competitive salary for the NGO sector, 3 weeks paid vacation (4 weeks after 3 years), paid personal days, medical, dental, and life insurance, a group RRSP, and much more!
Given the nature of our work, Equitas strongly encourages applications from any candidates who have experienced marginalization, in particular, Black, Indigenous, and People of Color, 2SLGBTQI+ people, and people living with disabilities. Candidates who wish to do so may self-identify in their application.
At Equitas, we do not tolerate harassment, discrimination, violence, or abuse of any form. All employment offers are conditional on the signing of Equitas’ Human Resources Policy, our Policy on Preventing Sexual Violence, Harassment and Discrimination, and satisfactory references.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
For further information about Equitas consult our website’s Who are we section at equitas.org
How to apply?
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Education Specialist – Canada in the subject line before May 1st 2023 to: firstname.lastname@example.org