Title: Program Officer – Level 2 (PO2) – Middle-East and North-Africa (MENA)
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Full time, 7-months contract (possibility of renewal)
Application deadline: November 22, 2019
Start date: January 7, 2020
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada.
Are you motivated by challenges? Are you passionate about human rights and interested in supporting Equitas with our program in the MENA region? Do you have proven experience in program development and implementation and a demonstrated track record of securing resources from institutional and other donors? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. After celebrating 50 years of success in 2017, Equitas continues to deliver innovative human rights education programs to advance equality, inclusion, respect for human dignity, and social change in Canada and around the world.
Equitas is seeking a highly motivated Program Officer, level 2, who cares passionately about human rights, equality, and inclusion and is experienced in project development and implementation as well as proposal writing and reporting. The Program Officer, level 2, will support the management (planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation) of the Rawabet – Technological Bridges for Citizen Engagement Initiative, an initiative aiming to empower youth, women and marginalized groups, in particular persons living with disabilities to engage, using technology, in democratic processes and enjoy and exercise their human rights. The Initiative is being implemented in Jordan, Tunisia, Morocco, and Egypt. In addition, the Program Officer, level 2 will play a key role in developing the second phase of the Rawabet Initiative and in ensuring the sustainability of its results. Reporting to the Senior Program Officer, the successful candidate is a team player and will work in close collaboration with other Equitas staff working on programs implemented in the MENA region.
Tasks and main responsibilities
- Contribute to the implementation of the Rawabet activities, particularly the Regional Forum on the Use of Technology for the promotion of Human Rights;
- In collaboration with the Senior Project Officer – MENA, assist in developing and maintaining relationships with partners, funders and key stakeholders;
- Support effective financial management of all program activities and accountability to relevant funding agencies, including leading the writing of narrative reports to the funders;
- Support the timely evaluation and reporting on the project’s human rights education activities;
- Conduct research on context, like-minded initiatives, and partner organizations to support program development;
- Apply Results-Based Management principles and tools in program design;
- Lead efforts in the participatory design of the next phase of programming – including by ensuring the active input from project partners and stakeholders in the preparation of concept notes and proposals;
- Perform other duties as determined in consultation with the Senior Program Officer – MENA.
Skills and experience
- 5 years of related experience in the development and/ or management of projects/programs in the international development sector;
- 2 years of overseas experience in a developing country context;
- Experience in developing and managing complex program budgets;
- Demonstrated track record of securing resources from institutional and other donors for international development initiatives;
- Recent experience in developing Logic Model and Performance Management Frameworks and project reporting for Global Affairs Canada is a strong asset;
- Sound understanding of the human rights-based approach, and gender equality and result-based management principles;
- University-level academic or professional training in international development, human rights and/or program monitoring and evaluation considered an asset.
- Superior oral and written communication skills: clear, concise, persuasive writing style;
- Strong capacity for strategic analysis and innovative thinking;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Ability to do multiple tasks at the same time in a fast-paced environment;
- A high level of integrity, tact, and discretion;
- Enthusiasm and adaptability;
- Excellent administration and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and handle multiple initiatives under tight deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated capacities to work in partnership and with different cultural groups;
- Proficiency in the use of computers, including word processing, database, monitoring, and evaluation tools.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada;
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values, experience working in a non-profit organization on human rights or social justice issues.
- Excellent communication, speaking and writing skills, in English;
- Working knowledge of French;
- Working knowledge of Arabic.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Program Officer II – MENA in the subject line by November 22, 2019, to:
Catalina Lomanto – email@example.com