Title: Gender Advisor
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Full time, one-year contract, with possibility of renewal 35 hours/per week
Application deadline: April 5, 2019 11 a.m. (extended until April 12)
Start date: May 6, 2019
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada.
Equitas is Canadian non-profit organization dedicated to advancing equality, social justice and respect for human dignity in Canada and around the world through human rights education. The promotion of gender equality is central to Equitas’ mission as well as the human rights-based approach that informs our work and practices. Furthermore, gender equality is central to our Theory of Change and is a priority within the organization’s activities in Canada and internationally. Equitas is seeking a Gender Advisor who will ensure that our work applies the most-up-to date global perspectives on gender equality and pushes us to be gender transformative in the programs we implement and the actions we take. Reporting to the Director of Programs, and working in close collaboration with the Management Team, the Gender Learning Team as well as project teams and other learning teams, the Gender Advisor will be responsible for leading efforts to operationalize gender equality throughout all of Equitas’ programming. The Gender Advisor will be responsible for shaping the strategic direction; building internal capacity, including coaching and support for staff and partners; monitoring and evaluation and knowledge sharing to ensure the realization of program-level and organizational-level gender equality outcomes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Providing strategic direction for the integration of gender equality across Equitas programs
- Provide strategic leadership and direction for Equitas’ gender equality work
- Leads on identifying and analyzing gender issues within programs and develops strategies for strengthening Equitas’ integration of gender equality within all of its program activities
- Provide guidance and support to Equitas teams ensuring that they develop annual plans that integrate gender equality outcomes
- Oversee development of gender equality strategies as part of the development of project proposals and project monitoring and evaluation
- Providing strategic guidance to organizational planning, policies and practices
- Provide guidance to ensure that gender equality is taken into account in Equitas’ overall strategic planning, annual planning, and organizational policies and practices
- Building Internal Capacity
- Work in close collaboration with the Gender Learning Team to lead efforts to build staff capacity to integrate gender equality into programs
- Build staff understanding of key gender equality issues (including issues related to social inclusion, intersectionality, gender identity, engagement of men and boys and the promotion and protection of equality right
- Provide guidance on the integration of gender equality into Equitas’ educational resources and tools
- Contribute to capacity building of partners to support the integration of gender equality into their respective human rights education activities and organizational practices
- Monitoring & Evaluation
- Support the development of evaluation tools for gathering data on gender outcomes
- Assist with the analysis of data, identifying potential gaps and strategies to address them, as well as with reporting of key results related to gender equality
- Knowledge Sharing
- Develop strategic partnerships related to gender equality
- Represent Equitas at different forums, knowledge networks and communities of practice as appropriate
- Contribute to Equitas’ knowledge sharing tools related to sharing good practices in promoting gender equality
Skills and Experience:
- University degree in social sciences, development studies, law, or a related field with a focus on gender equality and women’s rights, or equivalent experience.
- 5 yrs. experience working on projects focused on women’s empowerment and gender equality issues (including specific knowledge on gender-based violence and the promotion and protection of human rights).
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender-based analysis, gender-sensitive project design, gender mainstreaming, gender equality monitoring and evaluation and the promotion of gender equality at national and international levels.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think and act strategically.
- Experience working with a variety of stakeholders, women and men in communities, decision makers, donors, civil society organizations, the public and private sector.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate complex information to a wide range of audiences, and the interpersonal skills to cultivate a genuine commitment to gender equality among Equitas staff and partners.
- Experience in working in a cross-cultural team setting
- Ability to communicate orally, and read and understand documents, in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); and excellent writing skills in at least one of them
- Skills and experience in designing capacity-building activities and tools an asset
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
- Language Requirements: Ability to communicate orally, and read and understand documents, in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); and excellent writing skills in at least one of them.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Gender Advisor in the subject line by April 5, 2019 at 11 a.m. to: Catalina Lomanto firstname.lastname@example.org