Title: Fund Director – Act Together for Inclusion Fund
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: For the duration of the contract, ending on May 31, 2027 – 35 hours/per week
Application deadline: June 22, 2020 at 12 p.m.
Start date: July, 2020
Background on the Act Together for Inclusion Fund
The Act Together for Inclusion Fund (ACTIF) is being established to enhance the respect, protection and fulfillment of the human rights of, and socio-economic outcomes for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, trans, queer, two-spirited and intersex (LGBTQ2I) persons in countries eligible for overseas development assistance (ODA). Implementation of ACTIF will be guided by principles of intersectionality, inclusion, indivisibility of human rights and ‘do not harm.’ To do so, ACTIF will support projects designed by Canadian intermediaries – civil society organizations (CSOs) with a track record of working on LGBTQ2I issues and established connections to local LGBTQ2I CSOs and movements in ODA eligible countries. ACTIF will be managed by Equitas in collaboration with Dignity Network Canada. This innovative model will enable Canadian organizations working to further the human rights of LGBTQ2I persons, with new opportunities to implement programming in developing countries.
Are you passionate about human rights and social justice? Are you interested in leading the Act Together for Inclusion Fund? Do you have a proven track record managing projects with large funding organizations, such as Global Affairs Canada? Do you have experience working in grant making or with a funding organization? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. Equitas is dedicated to advancing equality, social justice and respect for human dignity in Canada and around the world through human rights education.
Equitas is seeking a Fund Director who cares deeply about human rights, equality and inclusion and has work experience working in cross-cultural settings and with partners and communities that have been marginalized, particularly the LGBTQ2I community. Reporting to Equitas’ Director of Programs, the Fund Director is a bilingual professional responsible for providing overall leadership and oversight of the Act Together for Inclusion Fund. They will provide effective project management in achieving the Fund’s expected results, oversee the financial management of the Fund, and lead relationships with diverse stakeholders, including LGBTQ2I organizations and Global Affairs Canada (GAC). The Fund Director will manage a team of three people working in French and English assigned full-time to the project, including the Fund Financial Manager. The ACTIF team will work in collaboration with Equitas staff and in close partnership with Dignity Network Canada.
Tasks and main responsibilities
- Overall management of the Fund
- Oversee the work of the Fund and ensures that appropriate planning and monitoring take place.
- Analyze issues, trends, and risks to identify new opportunities and strategies to mitigate risks.
- Coordinate the work of the Advisory Committee and the Project Selection Committee.
- Ensure appropriate resources and mechanisms are in place to respond to incoming proposals and follow up with applicants and recipients of funding.
- Ensure that appropriate monitoring and evaluation plans are developed and implemented for the Project and all sub-grants.
- Provide regular reports on the progress, risks, and challenges of the project.
- Oversee financial management
- Work with the Finance Manager to ensure accurate budgeting and forecasting as well as timely reporting to GAC.
- Lead relationships with major stakeholders of the Fund
- Build partnership and stakeholder relationships essential for the success of the Fund, particularly with Fund recipients.
- Act as the primary liaison interlocutor with Dignity Network Canada, a strategic partner of the Fund.
- Represent the Fund in discussions with GAC and with key stakeholders on issues of relevance to the Fund.
- Supervise the work of staff assigned to the Fund
- Provide direction, coaching, and support for a team of 3 professionals assigned to work on the Fund.
- Oversee the work of consultants and other Equitas staff assigned to work related to the delivery of the Fund.
- Oversee communications, evaluation and knowledge building and sharing activities related to the Fund
- Work with the Director of Communications and Development and Dignity Network Canada to oversee the development and implementation of communications strategies and plans.
- Work with staff and Dignity Network Canada to oversee the development and implementation of knowledge-sharing strategies and plans.
- Represent the Fund at conferences, workshops, with media, etc. to share good practices and lessons learned as required.
- Support organizational activities and processes (internal structure and systems)
- Monitor and ensures adherence to internal policies and procedures (procurement, policy on prevention of sexual violence, harassment, and discrimination, etc.).
- Participate in Equitas Program Steering Committee.
- Ensure maintenance of necessary electronic and paper files related to the program.
- Commitment to the stated objectives and principles of the Fund as well as Equitas’ values.
- Experience working in a grant-making or funding organization an important asset.
- Proven analytical skills and ability to think and act strategically.
- Minimum of 7-years project and financial management experience in a leadership role in the international development sector, including the management of projects with large funding organizations, such as Global Affairs Canada.
- Proven track-record working on human rights, equality and inclusion issues internationally, particularly related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Experience in working in cross-cultural settings and with partners, in particular with communities that have been marginalized, more specifically the LGBTQ2I community.
- Ability to communicate orally, and read, understand documents and write, in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); and excellent writing and presentation skills in at least one of them.
- Proven leadership skills and experience in motivating and managing teams, and in supervising/coaching staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: tact, diplomacy, and discretion.
- Skills in other languages is an asset.
- Proficiency in the use of computers, including word processing, spreadsheets, and the use of internet and email.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada.
- Availability to travel in Canada and overseas several times a year.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and strongly encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people living with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Fund Director – Act Together for Inclusion Fund in the subject line by June, 22 at 12 p.m. to:
Please note that we will evaluate applications as soon as we receive them. Don’t wait to send in your CV!