Title: Fund Development and Communications Assistant
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Full time, 12-month contract, with the possibility of renewal
35 hours/per week
Application deadline: January 15, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
Start date: February , 2020
Are you passionate about human rights and social justice? Are you interested in supporting fundraising activities and communications processes in order to contribute to the success and impact of human rights education programs? Are you motivated by challenges, a team player and results-oriented? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. Equitas is dedicated to advancing equality, social justice and respect for human dignity in Canada and around the world through human rights education.
Equitas is seeking a motivated Fund Development and Communications Assistant who cares deeply about human rights, equality and inclusion and has work experience in supporting fundraising and communications initiatives. Under the responsibility of the Communications Manager, the Fund Development and Communications Assistant supports the implementation of Equitas’ fundraising and communications strategies. He / she participates in the development and coordination of fundraising and communications activities and provides administrative support for these activities. He / she works closely with the Communications and Community Officer and the Fund Development Officer.
Tasks and main responsibilities
Fund development support
Philanthropy and events
- Collaborate in the conception of annual campaigns, and coordinate postal and electronic mailings
- Assist the team in planning and organising cultivation and fundraising events
- Participate in the preparation and writing of funding applications and solicitation strategies
- Keep track of philanthropy trends and available resources and propose actions to improve current practices
- Recruit, orient and coordinate efforts of Fund Development volunteers
General Management and Administration
- Closely monitor and track fundraising budgets, forecasts, incomes and expenditures
- Produce various reports based on performance indicators to track objectives
- Process donations in Prodon, perform data entry and update donors’ and partners’ profiles
- Issue tax receipts, acknowledgements and thank you letters
- Ensure that accurate and up-to-date information is maintained on all donors and prospects (companies, foundations and individuals) in relevant databases and filing systems
- Support the work of the Fund Development Committee: schedule and organize meetings, take minutes
- Coordinate work with suppliers: printers, graphic designers, etc.
- Perform regular administrative tasks: mail, preparation of letters, presentations and various documents, etc.
- Support the Communications Team in ensuring that Equitas’ online engagement strategies (social media, web, etc.) are optimized to support fundraising goals
- Assist with the management and maintenance of Equitas’ website: update web pages, etc.
- Prepare newsletters and manage lists and mailings according to schedule
- General support – social media, copywriting and translation
- Management of the Equitas image bank
- Support the work of the Communications Committee:schedule and organize meetings, take minutes
- Keep an inventory of promotional documents and communications materials
- Keep track of social media and web metrics
- Perform other tasks as assigned and required for the success of Equitas and its fund development and communications strategies
- University degree in a relevant field for the position
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in fundraising, communications or administration
- Experience with databases, specifically ProDon and/or Salesforce; otherwise interest and ability to master new technological environments and to problem solve
- Experience in event planning an asset
- Experience working in a multicultural setting an asset
- Experience in the fields of human rights, human rights education, and/or social justice issues an asset
Skills and other considerations
- Passion for human rights and commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Mastery of the Office suite, knowledge of WordPress, social media and the following platforms an asset: MailChimp or equivalent, Canva or equivalent, Google Analytics, Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong organizational and planning skills, ability to respect deadlines
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work under pressure
- Interpersonal skills: tact, professionalism, and discretion
- Detail-oriented and thorough
- Demonstrate initiative and good judgment; ability to problem solve
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Note: Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
- Solid ability to communicate in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French) in writing and orally on a daily basis
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Fund Development and Communications Assistant in the subject line by Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 12 p.m. to: