Title: Accounting Assistant
Status: Full time, 12 months contract, 35 hours/per week, with possibility of renewal
Start date: August 3rd, 2018
Salary Range: $39,000 – $42,000 + benefits
Application deadline: Wednesday, July 25 2018
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education (www.equitas.org) is seeking a full-time Accounting Assistant to support maintaining the accounting books and financial records of Equitas. The Accounting Assistant provides support to enable effective financial management, financial reporting and analyses for the organization.
Reporting to the Financial Controller, the Accounting Assistant is responsible for:
- Process accounts payable; ensure purchases are properly approved, review invoices for accuracy, process payment of invoices
- Review staff expenses reports and ensure that they meet the guidelines laid out in Equitas’ Travel Policy
- Process wire transfer requests
- Maintain and update the general ledger and sales journal
- Maintain accurate records of donations received
- Deposit cheques and cash received at the bank
- Maintain the Finance filing system
- Maintain petty cash and prepare reconciliations and reimbursements as necessary
- Perform other accounting / administrative duties as required
Skills and experience:
- DEC or Bachelor’s degree in an Accounting/Finance.
- Minimum 2 years experience in Accounting/Finance
- Knowledge of accounting software SAGE
- Advanced Excel knowledge
- Excellent attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Bilingual (English/French)
Ability to communicate, speaking and writing skills, in both official languages (English and French)
- Interpersonal skills: tact, diplomacy, and
- Demonstrated initiative and judgment; ability to solve problems.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Good organizational and planning ability, capacity to respect deadlines.
- Commitment to Equitas mission and values.
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
How to Apply:
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and c.v.) with the title Accounting Assistant – Canada in the subject line by July 25, 2018, to:
Ms. Catalina Lomanto