Title: Regional Program Officer, BC
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Status: Full-time one year contract (possibility of renewal)
Application deadline: July 24, 2017
Start date: as soon as possible, interviews will be held between Aug 1-4, 2017
Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education (www.equitas.org) is seeking a full-time Regional Program Officer to plan, coordinate, deliver, and evaluate its human rights education activities in BC. In particular with respect to its growing Play it Fair!, Speaking Rights, and Young Women Young Leaders programs across BC. Central to this role will also be supporting new and existing partners as they integrate human rights education approaches focusing on child and youth rights, leadership, participation and community engagement within their organizations own programs and practices.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Programs, Canada, the Regional Program Officer, BC is responsible for the development and management of Equitas’ programming in British Columbia.
- Manages the BC office and associated administrative and project budgets; supervises and supports the work of one BC program staff and intern
- Leads the implementation of program activities, including planning, delivery, monitoring and evaluation
- Contributes to the development of program strategy and conceptualization, develops annual plans and evaluation plans, and oversees monitoring and reporting (of activities and budget)
- Promotes programs in BC, by developing new partnerships and deepening existing partnerships with community based organizations and municipalities, and other relevant strategic partners (i.e. BC Representative for Children and Youth, the City of Surrey, etc.)
- Develops, coordinates and facilitates HRE training for community partners and their staff; conducts follow-up activities and coaching with trained staff and organizations
- Assists in the organization of community events in order to support community partners and their efforts to increase children and youth rights and participation (e.g. National Child Day, Surrey Kids Conference, Provincial Kids Conferences)
- Takes a leadership role in fund development for BC programs, including grant writing, development and maintenance of relationships with funders, and report writing
- Participates in local networks, contributes to Equitas’
- Knowledge Sharing Strategy and communications to promote sharing of good practices and program outcomes.
- Collaborates closely with Equitas’ Montreal office.
- Performs other duties as determined in consultation with the Associate Director of Programs, Canada.
Skills and Experience
- Proven analytical skills and the ability to think and act independently while managing multiple projects at the same time
- 3-5 years relevant experience in project management and project/program development in the non-profit or social sector, including developing monitoring and evaluation plans
- Demonstrated experience in developing community partnerships
- Proven knowledge, understanding and programming experience related to children’s rights, human rights education, and/or social justice issues in Canada
- Demonstrated facilitation/training skills
- Experience in grant writing and development of funding relationships
- Excellent interpersonal skills: tact, diplomacy and discretion
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting and with diverse program partners
- Strong computer and data management skills
- Strong planning, organizational skills and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills including strong writing skills in English. French is also an asset.
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Ability to work well in a small flexible team.
- Availability to work flexible hours during program activities.
- Ability to travel up to 3 to 4 times a year for periods varying between 1 day and 1 week at a time.
- Ability to drive.
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada. Equitas supports employment practices that promote diversity and respect human rights and offers a competitive salary and benefits for a program position in the NGO sector.
Please send your resume and cover letter with the title Regional Program Officer in the subject line by July 24th to:
Ms. Giorgiana Munteanu, HR Office Manager, Equitas
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants under consideration will be contacted.