Title: Program Officer, level 2 – International Human Rights Training Program (IHRTP)
Organization: Equitas – Centre international d’éducation aux droits humains
Status: Full time, 12 month contract, with possibility of renewal (35 hours/per week)
Application deadline : July 26, 2019
Start date: August, 2019
Are you passionate about human rights? Are you interested to be part of the organization of an event dedicated build capacity of Human Rights leaders? Would you like to continue strengthen a network of more than 5000 human rights defenders? Are you organized and independent? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. Equitas is dedicated to advancing equality, social justice and respect for human dignity in Canada and around the world through human rights education. After 40 years’, the International Human Rights Training Program (IHRTP) keeps been a unique training in the world, specially dedicated to building the capacity and skills of human rights educators. The IHRTP is part of the Achieving equality through human rights education (Achieving Equality) project, intended to promote women leadership, build capacity of civil society organizations and create further dialogue spaces from decision-makers.
Equitas is seeking a motivated Program Officer, level 2, IHRTP who cares passionately about human rights, equality and inclusion and has some years of experience on project management. Under the responsibility of the Program Officer, level 3 IHRTP, Program Officer, level 2, IHRTP plays a key role on the organization and update of the IHRTP.
Tasks and main responsibilities
- Support the development and coordination of the implementation of the International Human Rights Training Program
- Launch a call for candidates for the IHRTP, in collaboration with the Communications Manager
- Review the received candidatures; organise the candidate’s selection process
- Support selected participants to prepare for their participation (visa request, financial follow up, follow up with the Embassies, travel planning)
- Coordinate logistics in the training location (stay, special events, relationship with suppliers)
- Coordinate the recruitment, training and guidance of interns and volunteers
- Coordinate activities assigned for the preparation and implementation of IHRTP
- Work closely with Equitas project and learning teams
- Contribute to IHRTP evaluation process
- Support the development and implementation of the financial strategy and the good relationship with stakeholders
- Participate on the implementation of Equitas regional activities
- Actively participate in organizational activities and be part of a learning team and different committees
- Perform other duties as assigned
Skills and experience:
- Strong planning and organizational skils
- Analytical skills and ability to take initiative
- Ability to multi-task in a pressure-filled environment, and manage a high volume of written communication
- Ability to work well in a team
- Experience in project management and administration in the NGO or social sector
- Experience supervising interns and volunteers
- Experience working in the fields of human rights, human rights education, and/or social justice issues in Canada or overseas
- Interpersonal skills: tact, diplomacy and discretion
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting and with overseas partners
- Strong abilities with information management systems (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Experience with database Salesforce an asset; otherwise interest and ability to master new technological environments and solve problems
- Excellent ability to communicate orally, read, and understand documents in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); these position requires the ability to communicate in both languages written and orally, in a daily basis.
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Availability to work flexible hours, and to stay on site during the annual IHRTP (Montreal West) during the event in the month of June (one month)
- Knowledge of other languages an asset
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Program Officer, level 2 IHRTP in the subject line by July 26, 2019 to: