What is Equitas about?
Equitas is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) based in Montreal that has been around for over 50 years, working on human rights education. With our programs, we aim to advance equality, inclusion, respect for human dignity, and social change in Canada and around the world. You can visit our website.
What is this job about?
This is a youth-specific position for someone between 18-29 years old. This position will be in the Canadian Program at Equitas. The Canadian Program works through partner organisations who work with children and youth to support their ability to enact their rights in varying capacities. This role is for someone who might not have a lot of experience in the NGO sector but wants to get a foot in the door and start learning about program management and use some key tools (like Salesforce and Microsoft 365 Suite), event organizing and social media. You don’t already need to be an expert on any of these things but being driven to learn is key.
What will be your key tasks and responsibilities?
- Support planning and implementation of our key activities (ex: logistics, budget management, delivery) for organising trainings and events both online and in-person
- Contribute to the youth focused communications by preparing social media and website content, developing promotional materials, supporting with translation of English- French content, and maintaining our interactive
- Support Education Specialists in gathering and analysing information on our activities
- Update the Canadian program contact database through Salesforce (an electronic contact management platform)
- Perform other duties as determined in consultation with your supervisor
What do you need?
- Motivation to learn, being an independent/autonomous person and a good team worker
- Interest in human rights education, youth leadership and social justice issues. Desire to raise awareness using social medias and to develop content for websites, blogs and social media
- Have the right to work in Canada
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and French
- A space to work from home with strong internet connection: the position will be work from home until it is safe and mutually agreed upon to work from the offices in downtown Montreal
What will we provide?
- An opportunity to learn about human rights education, to work in an open and diverse environment, and learn about community organisations across Canada
- Professional development opportunities on topics that interest you and relate to the work (human rights, social justice, event planning, education, technological literacy, etc.)
What are the details (schedule, pay, etc.)?
- 30 hours /week at $20/ hour
- Flexible schedule between Monday-Friday.
- It’s a 4 month contract, with possibility of renewal
What are Equitas’ commitments?
- To our mission and values
- Employment equity – this means we are proactively engaged in employing those who face barriers in society including, but not limited to, Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people living with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions. You can self-identify as wanting to be considered for employment equity in this application if you like – it is entirely optional.
How to apply?
You can apply one of two ways:
- Fill in this Forms document online. (if you choose this method, you do not need to send us a CV or a cover letter)
- Submit a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. (if you choose this method, we recommend looking at the Forms questions for writing your letter)
Please, only use one application method (not both) by August 17, 2020.
If you are interested in this position but you feel that these options are barriers to you (you’re not sure of how to use Forms, unfamiliar with the CV and cover letter format, have other questions) please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will follow up with you.
We would like to thank everyone for their interest in applying! Only applicants selected for interviews will be selected.