Title: Program Officer – level 1 (PO1)
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Full time, contract for the duration of the project, ending on May 31, 2027 – 35 hours per week
Application deadline: August 14th, 2020 at 12 p.m.
Start date: September, 2020
Are you passionate about human rights and social justice? Are you interested in supporting the work done by the Act Together for Inclusion Fund? Do you have a proven experience in project administration? Do you have good organizational skills? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Equitas is Canada’s most recognized and active human rights education organization. We work for the advancement of equality, social justice and respect for human dignity through transformative education programs. We empower people to address inequalities and discrimination, and to work to build more inclusive and rights-respecting communities.
Equitas is seeking a Program Officer I who cares deeply about human rights, equality and inclusion and has work experience in non-profit (or foundations) project management and administration. Reporting to the Fund Director Act Together for Inclusion Fund (ACTIF), the Program Officer I is a professional with excellent organizational skills, well-developed attention to detail and experience in administrative tasks. The Program Officer I will ensure a smooth functioning of administrative oriented tasks, support the development and implementation of grant-making tool and processes, contribute to communication activities related to the ACTIF project, review periodic grantee reporting, and provide logistical support for the organization of events.
Background Act Together for Inclusion Fund
The Act Together for Inclusion Fund (ACTIF) has been established to enhance the respect, protection and fulfillment of the human rights of, and socio-economic outcomes for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, trans, queer, two-spirited and intersex (LGBTQ2I) persons in countries eligible for overseas development assistance (ODA). Implementation of ACTIF will be guided by principles of intersectionality, inclusion, indivisibility of human rights, and ‘do not harm.’ ACTIF will be managed by Equitas in collaboration with Dignity Network Canada. The project is funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
Tasks and main responsibilities
- Provide logistical support for organization of project activities (capacity building sessions and knowledge exchange events) in collaboration with ACTIF team at Equitas and the Dignity Network;
- Support logistics for the organization and preparation of travel for ACTIF team members (purchase of airline/train tickets, hotel reservations, expense account, etc.);
- Provide support for the development of call for proposal tools, processes and communications;
- Assist in the preparation of financial and programmatic documents required for Fund audits;
- Support the planning, organization and reporting of ACTIF meetings;
- Ensures translation/revision (English > French and French > English) of documents as required;
- Support review of periodic narrative reporting by Canadian Fund recipients and the Dignity Network Canada;
- Support review of financial reports by Canadian Fund recipients and the Dignity Network Canada, including the verification of supporting documentation;
- Support the ACTIF team in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Contribute to Equitas communications by preparing social media and website messages and promotional materials;
- Commitment to the stated objectives and principles of the Fund as well as Equitas’ values;
- University degree in administration, project management, international development, social or political sciences, education or any other relevant field;
- 1 to 3 years of proven experience in project administration;
- Experience working with grassroot organizations engaged in development and social justice work (in Canada and/or abroad), in particular those working with marginalized communities is considered an asset;
- Analytical skills and ability to work independently;
- Good ability to conduct simple research and maintain databases and records;
- Good organizational skills, planning and ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work on several tasks at the same time;
- Ability to work as part of a small team in a cross-cultural environment with a diversity of partners;
- Computer literacy, including word processing, data management, use of MS Office suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Outlook), knowledge of Salesforce is an asset;
- A high level of integrity, tact and discretion. Enthusiasm and adaptability;
- Knowledge of InDesign is an asset.
- Working proficiency in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French).
- Availability to travel in Canada up to 1-3 times per year;
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people living with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Program Officer I in the subject line by August 14th at 12 p.m. to: