Title: Finance Manager
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Full time, contract for the duration of the project, ending on May 31, 2027 – 35 hours per week
Application deadline: August 12, 2020 at 12 p.m.
Start date: September, 2020
Are you passionate about human rights and social justice? Are you interested in overseeing the financial management of the Act Together for Inclusion Fund? Do you have a proven track record working in non-profit financial management and analysis? Do carry out your responsibilities with humility and sensitivity? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Equitas is Canada’s most recognized and active human rights education organization. We work for the advancement of equality, social justice and respect for human dignity through transformative education programs. We empower people to address inequalities and discrimination, and to work to build more inclusive and rights-respecting communities.
Equitas is seeking a Finance Manager who cares deeply about human rights, equality and inclusion and has work experience in non-profit (or foundations) financial management and analysis. Reporting to Equitas’ Financial Controller, the Finance Manager is a certified accountant with excellent customer service skills, well-developed attention to detail and organizational skills. The Finance Manager will ensure the financial management of the entire ACTIF project and will make recommendations on financial and compliance aspects of the project. The Finance Manager will conduct financial reviews and capacity building sessions for project partners.
Background Act Together for Inclusion Fund
The Act Together for Inclusion Fund (ACTIF) is being established to enhance the respect, protection and fulfillment of the human rights of, and socio-economic outcomes for lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, trans, queer, two spirited and intersex (LGBTQ2I) persons in countries eligible for overseas development assistance (ODA). The implementation of ACTIF will be guided by principles of intersectionality, inclusion, indivisibility of human rights and ‘do no harm.’ ACTIF will support projects designed by Canadian intermediaries – civil society organizations (CSOs) with a track record of working on LGBTQ2I issues and established connections to local LGBTQ2I CSOs and movements in ODA eligible countries. ACTIF will be managed by Equitas in collaboration with Dignity Network Canada. ACTIF will enable Canadian organizations working to further the human rights of LGBTQ2I persons, with new opportunities to implement programming in developing countries.
- Ensure the financial management of the entire ACTIF project and compliance with the Contribution Agreement signed with Global Affairs Canada (GAC);
- Lead the development and implementation of appropriate processes, tools, policies, and procedures for the financial management of the Fund;
- Contribute to initial preparation / review, negotiation, due diligence, monitoring, and modifications of agreements with Fund recipients and sub-contractors;
- Ensure that all financial reports required by Canadian Fund recipients and the Dignity Network Canada are properly prepared and submitted in accordance with funder requirements;
- Prepare and submit to funder consolidated financial reports, budget forecasts, and payment requests for the project as per funder requirements;
- Lead the annual budget review for the ACTIF project;
- Arrange bank transfers between Equitas and Canadian Fund recipient organizations, as well as with Dignity Network Canada, as required;
- Coordinate and prepare financial records for the ACTIF project for the annual external audit and for any audit required by funder.
- Contribute to the capacity building activities of Canadian civil society organizations (CSOs), with regards to financial management and compliance with GAC requirements;
- Support Canadian Fund recipients in developing an understanding of GAC requirements and expectations for managing a Contribution Agreement;
- Contribute to the consolidation of accounting systems within Equitas in a period of growth.
- Commitment to the stated objectives and principles of the Fund as well as Equitas’ values;
- University degree in in relevant discipline, science, business, social sciences, social development, international management, accounting sciences;
- Qualified CPA/CGA or any equivalent international designation will be preferred;
- Minimum 7 years proven experience managing grants/contracts and working in non-profit (or foundations) financial management and analysis required;
- Knowledge of the Global Affairs Canada (GAC) financial regulations;
- Experience working with an accounting software, preferably Sage;
- Keen analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- Professional demeanor and ability to communicate and interface with all levels of management, staff, and multiple partners, with an emphasis on customer service;
- Setting up administrative and financial systems and controls for new projects and programs an asset;
- Experience working with grassroot organizations, in particular those working with marginalized communities is considered an asset;
- Ability to explain financial matters to non-finance personnel an asset;
- Excellent computer and data management skills (including MS Office 365);
- Strong team player, able to develop and maintain effective working relationships within a distributed and dynamic team, and with multiple partner organizations;
- Sensitive to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across different cultural contexts.
- Excellent command (oral and written) of one of Canada’s two official languages (English or French) and;
- Ability to communicate orally and/or in writing in the other official language of Canada.
- Availability to travel in Canada several times a year;
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people living with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and ACTIF Finance Manager in the subject line by August 12 at 12 p.m. to: