Title: Program Officer, level 1 – International Human Rights Training Program (IHRTP)
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Full time, one-year contract, with possibility of renewal 35 hours/per week
Application deadline: September 27, 2019 11 a.m.
Start date: October, 2019
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada.
Are you passionate about human rights? Are you interested to be part of the organization of an event dedicated build capacity of Human Rights leaders? Would you like to continue strengthen a network of more than 5000 human rights defenders? Are you organized and independent? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. Equitas is dedicated to advancing equality, social justice and respect for human dignity in Canada and around the world through human rights education. After 40 years’, the International Human Rights Training Program (IHRTP) keeps been a unique training in the world, specially dedicated to building the capacity and skills of human rights educators. The IHRTP is part of the Achieving equality through human rights education (Achieving Equality) project, intended to promote women leadership, build capacity of civil society organizations and create further dialogue spaces from decision-makers.
Equitas is seeking a motivated Program Officer, level 1, IHRTP who cares passionately about human rights, equality and inclusion and has some years of experience on project management. Under the responsibility of the Program Officer, level 2 IHRTP, Program Officer, level 1, IHRTP plays a key role on the organization and update of the IHRTP.
Tasks and main responsibilities
- Manage communications during the nomination process, and announce it to selected candidates.
- Coordinate the entry of applications into the database, as well as the preparations leading to the selection process.
- Manage communications with applicants, participants and other stakeholders, including Canadian diplomatic offices abroad and some funders.
- Organize the transportation of participants, resource persons and facilitators and ensure a good relationship with the travel agent.
- Participate in the meetings of the IHRTP committee and REDHEM
- Contribute to the annual planning process and budget monitoring
- Contributes to the creation of internal and external final reports
- Contributes to the development and implementation of funding research strategies, in conjunction with Programme Officer 2
- Coordinate the hiring process of the team of interns with the Program Officer 2 and the Education Specialist
- Coordinate the training of volunteers and interns at the IHRTP.
- Coordinate the work of interns and volunteers before, during and after the Program.
- Coordinate the preparation of goods and services (including the nurse, simultaneous translation services, liaison with cafeteria officials)
- Coordinate the preparation and conduct of social activities during the IHRTP.
- Organize the move between the Equitas office and the training site.
- Participate in the management of the budget related to the above-mentioned tasks.
- Meet the needs of participants during the Program.
- Complete the tasks necessary for effective follow-up of the IHRTP, including communications with former participants.
- Manage the IHRTP filing system, with the support of the Program Officer.
Skills and experience:
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Engagement in the fields of human rights, human rights education, and/or social justice
- Team spirit, enthusiasm and adaptability
- Ability to multi-task in a pressure-filled environment, and manage a high volume of written communication
- Analytical skills and ability to take initiative
- Ability to work well in a team
- Experience in project management and administration in the NGO or social sector is an asset
- Experience supervising interns and volunteers is an asset
- Interpersonal skills: tact, diplomacy and discretion
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting and with overseas partners
- Strong abilities with information management systems (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Experience with database Salesforce an asset; otherwise interest and ability to master new technological environments and solve problems
- Excellent ability to communicate orally, read, and understand documents in both of Canada’s official languages (English and French); these position requires the ability to communicate in both languages written and orally, in a daily basis.
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Availability to work flexible hours, and to stay on site during the annual IHRTP (Montreal West) during the event in the month of June (one month)
- Knowledge of other languages an asset
- Applicants must have the right to work in Canada
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org.
Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Program Officer, level 1 IHRTP in the subject line by September 27, 2019 to: