Title: Program Officer II, Francophone Africa
Terms: Full-time 12-month contract (maternity leave replacement)
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Start Date: May 8, 2017
Salary Scale: 48 000 $ – 63 000 $ (commensurate with experience) + benefits
Application deadline: Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 16h00
Only applicants currently eligible to work in Canada can be considered.
Equitas is currently looking for a full-time Program Officer to join the Francophone Africa team. Reporting to the Director of Programs, she/he manages and implements the activities of our human rights education program in seven Francophone African countries (Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, DRC, Rwanda and Senegal), mainly working on the Prevention of Torture in the Francophonie project. She/he works with members of the Program and Education Units in the development, implementation and evaluation of program activities.
As part of the Francophone Africa Project team, the Program Officer is responsible for the management (planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) of the program. She/He:
- Has the main responsibility for monitoring and maintaining positive relationships with partners in Francophone Africa, a partner in Geneva, with funders and with various stakeholders.
- Manages the development, implementation and evaluation of local program activities (including training, mobilization campaigns, forums and, planning and evaluation meetings), in collaboration with project partner organizations.
- Ensures efficient and effective financial management of all program activities and accountability to funders.
- Contributes to the strategic planning of the program.
- Contributes to the co-supervision of two national coordinators, in Burkina Faso and in Cameroon, in collaboration with the main partner.
- Leads the search for funding for program activities in the region.
- Supports the implementation of communications activities.
- Performs other duties as determined in consultation with the Director of Programs.
- At least 5 years’ experience in program management in human rights, women’s rights, prevention of torture or development (financial management, coordination with partners, monitoring and evaluation)
- Knowledge and understanding of the political context and human rights issues in Francophone Africa, ideally with experience working in the region
- Demonstrated experience related to human rights education and ideally, experience in the prevention of torture and other cruel, inhuman and degrading treatments
- Experience in fundraising and relations with funders
- Strong organizational and management skills and ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership capacity
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting
- Ability to travel up to 3 to 4 times a year for an average of 2 weeks at a time
- Languages: perfect command of written and spoken French and ability to communicate orally and read and understand documents in English
- A track-record of creativity, strategic judgment, innovation and vision
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from members of aboriginal peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits for a program position in the NGO sector.
Please direct your resume with a letter explaining your motivation in applying in one document to:
Ms. Margaret Brennan, Equitas
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants under consideration will be contacted.