Title: Program Officer I
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: one-year full-time contract (with possibility of renewal)
Start date: TBC
Starting salary range: $40,000 – $45,000 (commensurate with experience) + benefits
Application deadline : May 30, 2017
Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and MENA_PO1 in the subject line by May 30 to:
Ms. Nadjet Bouda, Equitas
Equitas is currently seeking a full-time Program Officer I to support the implementation of its human rights education activities in the Middle East and North Africa region. It is a one-year full time position with an initial probation period of six months. There is possibility to renew the contract for the duration of the project (2017- 2020). The Program Officer I must be eligible to work in Canada.
Reporting to the Equitas Senior Program Officer (PO3), Middle East and North Africa (MENA), and working in close collaboration with the members of the MENA project team, the Program Officer I provides support for the development and management (planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) of the new Technological Bridges for Citizen Engagement Project, a three-year initiative aiming to empower youth, women and marginalized groups, in particular persons living with disabilities to engage, using technology, in democratic processes and enjoy and exercise their human rights. The project will be implemented in Jordan, Tunisia, Morocco and Egypt.
- Contributes to the implementation of project activities, assists in maintaining relationships with partners, funders and key stakeholders, and supports the sound implementation, administration, financial management, and evaluation of the overall project
- Supports project development and fundraising
- Prepares narrative and financial reports on the implemented activities
- Supports logistical arrangements for project activities in collaboration with countrycoordinators and partners in the region, including regional and in country meetings, training sessions and other project-related activities (team travel & accommodations, scheduling, etc.)
- Provides support for face-to-face human rights education and training activities as well as e- learning and on-line training activities
- Supports the timely evaluation and reporting on the project’s human rights education activities
- Supports the development and coordinates of implementation of the project’s social media strategy and supports the development of the content and the postings of the project’s online platform
- Contributes to Equitas communications (including translation Arabic-English-French, preparing social media posts and website support, graphic design of promotional documents)
- Manages project documents and files ensuring easy retrieval
- Participates in project and organisational team meetings
- Participates actively in Equitas activities
Performs other duties as determined in consultation with the Program Officer-3, Middle East and North Africa
- University degree in administration, project management, social or political science, education or any other relevant field
- 2-3 years proven experience in project administration including excellent planning and organizational skills
- Experience working with community organizations delivering programs for women and youth is an asset; experience working in the NGO sector is also an asset.
- Knowledge of human rights education and/or social justice issues in the MENA region is an asset.
- Analytical skills and the ability to act independently
- Ability to do multiple tasks at the same time in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work as part of a small team in a cross-cultural environment with a diversity ofpartners
- A high level of integrity, tact and discretion. Enthusiasm and adaptability
- Strong skills in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook; experience in InDesign is an asset
- Excellent oral and written skills in Arabic are required
- Excellent oral and written skills in at least one of Canada’s official languages (English orFrench).
- Ability to work in the other official language is an asset
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
- Ability to work well in a team
- Availability to work flexible hours during project’ activities
- Ability to travel up to 2 to 3 times a year for an average of a week at a time
- Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas supports employment practices that promote diversity and respect human rights and offers a competitive salary and benefits for a program position in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.