Title: Education Specialists
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal, Canada
Status: Three (3) full time positions, 12-month contract, with possibility of renewal (35 hours/per week)
Application deadline: August 1 , 2019 (Extended until August 8, 2019)
Start date: September, 2019
Are you motivated by challenges? Are you passionate about human rights and interested in supporting Equitas with our International Human Right training program? Do you have proven experience in educational program develop, design and evaluation? If so, Equitas has an exciting opportunity for you.
Based in Montreal, Equitas is Canada’s most established and active human rights education organization. After recently celebrating 50 years of success in 2017, Equitas continues to deliver innovative human rights education programs to advance equality, inclusion, respect for human dignity, and social change in Canada and around the world.
Equitas is seeking three (3) highly motivated Education Specialists who care passionately about human rights, equality and inclusion and are experienced in designing, developing and facilitating educational material. The Education Specialists, will develop, deliver and evaluate Equitas human rights education activities for different projects. Reporting to the Director of Education, the successful candidates are team players and will work in close collaboration with Program Officers assigned to the respective projects as well as other Education Specialists.
Tasks and main responsibilities
Design and Development of Education Materials
- Carry out the instructional design, development, and production of training materials for mainly text-based training resources but also online resources according to the text design templates. This includes materials for learning needs assessment, application forms, pre-training assignments, training manuals, evaluation instruments.
- Review and revises education materials in consultation with program staff and partner organizations
- Deliver and facilitate training sessions for specific projects. This includes working with Equitas partners in different regions, to develop training content, facilitating sessions, orientation of local facilitating team, leading and/or participating in daily debriefing sessions during the training, ensuring effective evaluation
- Provide coaching and follow up related to educational design, training, evaluation and implementation of local actions
- Participate, as needed, in other activities related to program delivery including carrying out related administrative functions
- Prepare and carry out baseline studies and needs validation
- Design evaluation and monitoring processes and tools, analyze data and prepare reports
Communications and Knowledge Sharing
- Stay current with trends and issues in human rights (e.g. readings, conferences, etc.)
- Stays current with human rights education methodology and trends in the general field of education
- Develop human rights education resources, training manual templates, handbooks, etc.
- Contribute to the promotion of Equitas’ education programs and activities on social media, on the Equitas website, etc.
- Contribute to the implementation of Equitas’ knowledge strategy, internally and externally
- Contribute to the management of the Equitas education resources
- Conduct information/ training sessions for Equitas staff
- Share good practices with Equitas knowledge partners, at conferences and other events, and within communities of practice to increase understanding of human rights education and Equitas programs
- Contribute to the development of overall program/project strategies and annual planning and reporting
- Contribute to the project formulation (especially with regard to the education component of the project) and provide input into project concept papers, proposals and budgets (e.g. project teams)
- Contribute to funding proposals
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders, partners, decision makers
- Actively participate in, contribute to and support organizational and Education Unit processes (e.g., planning and budgeting processes, reflection/learning processes, team building activities, staff/project team/Education Unit meetings, staff training activities)
- Represent Equitas as appropriate and/or when requested.
Participation in the planning, development, evaluation and delivery of the annual International Human Rights Training Program (IHRTP) as required
- Contributes, as assigned, to continued growth and strengthening of Equitas and its programs.
Skills and experience
- A minimum of 5 years’ work experience in-learner-centred curriculum design and delivery of training
- Formal education/training in instructional design/curriculum development (or equivalent experience)
- Proven skills in development, implementation, and evaluation of education activities
- Demonstrated facilitation skills
- Proven conceptual and analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong planning and organization skills including the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in a cross-cultural setting
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team
- Experience in design of online training courses
- Excellent command of Microsoft Word for text design, InDesign, Photoshop, Survey Monkey for data collection and analysis, Excel and PowerPoint, Moodle (knowledge of SharePoint, Salesforce and other programs an asset)
- Language requirements: Excellent communication, speaking and writing skills, in English and French.
- Have the right to work in Canada
- Be able to travel and participate in programs outside of Canada 3 to 4 times a year
- Commitment to Equitas’ mission and values
For further information about Equitas consult our website at www.equitas.org. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities. Equitas offers a competitive salary and benefits in the NGO sector.
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please send 1 attachment (cover letter and C.V.) with your name and Education Specialist Level 2 in the subject line by August 1, 2019 to: