Title: Communication intern – IHRTP
Organization: Equitas – International Centre for Human Rights Education
Location: Montreal and Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, Canada
Duration: 8 weeks, between May and July, 2019
Paid internship: $3,920 for 8 weeks.
EQUITAS – International Centre for Human Rights Education is a non-profit organization that works for the advancement of equality, social justice and respect for human dignity in Canada and around the world through transformative human rights education programs since 1967. Each year in June, Equitas organizes its three-week, intensive International Human Rights Training Program (IHRTP) at John Abbott College in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, where approximately 90 human rights workers from over 50 countries come to gain knowledge, skills and strategies related to human rights education.
The intern will be placed as a communications assistant and web editor for the creation and publication of articles related to human rights and human rights education. Under the supervision of the Communications Manager and IHRTP team, this person’s main tasks will be to conduct interviews, write articles and contribute to the management of social networking and to the organization’s website.
The intern’s responsibilities include a variety of tasks related to running and supporting a major international event in an intercultural context. The intern will be involved in the following activities before, during and after the IHRTP:
- Write articles and produce engaging publications on topics related to human rights and the impact of Equitas’ projects, and publish them on Equitas’ website and social media;
- Conduct interviews in person, by phone or Skype with human rights defenders and educators, in English and French, and produce engaging publications based on these interviews;
- Produce engaging publications based on current news and discussions in social networks, including the Equitas Community (a network of over 3,500 defenders and human rights educators from around the world);
- Conduct research on the Internet or elsewhere to find and verify information for publication;
- Respond to comments made in social media related to publications and engage members;
- Provide assistance to the Communications Manager in media relations, and promotion and coverage of events;
- Participate in the development of content strategies to motivate our target audiences and donors;
- Support the organization of Program events ;
- Support logistical aspects of the Program in collaboration with other interns.
Knowledge and skills
- Be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program in journalism, communications, political science, international relations or other related field;
- Excellent command of written French or English (or both);
- Ability to speak both official languages;
- Great interest in international news and issues related to human rights in Canada and around the world;
- Rigor in information processing and compliance with journalistic standards and practices;
- Ability to work fast and manage several writing projects simultaneously;
- Ability to have a flexible schedule, given that the interviewees are often located in other countries, in different time zones;
- Knowledge of web site management, tools and trends in social networks;
- Knowledge of graphic design, photography, video and video editing is an asset.The intern will work primarily at Equitas’ office in Montreal and at John Abbot College in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue, with the possibility of teleworking occasionally.
This internship runs for 8 weeks, between May and July, 2019.
This is a full-time internship. The intern will receive $3,920$ for 8 weeks of work.
Applicants must have the right to work in Canada. Equitas supports employment practices that promote diversity and respect human rights. Equitas is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
How to Apply
Please send an application including a CV, a letter of motivation and some examples of written publications or works that you deem relevant. Send your application package by email to the attention of:
E-mail to: email@example.com
Equitas thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only applicants under consideration will be contacted.